New Faculty Experience
The New Faculty Experience (NFE) is a three-year, dean-approved program designed and facilitated by Western faculty members to welcome new faculty members to the Western family and help them be successful.
Successful completion of NFE meets the Behavioral Management, Student Success, and Diversity areas of the Faculty Quality Assurance System (FQAS).
Faculty new to Western, regardless of teaching experience, are expected to attend all mandatory NFE events.
- Ann Brice, Web and Software Development
- Stacy Mitchell, General Studies (Communication Skills)
- Scott Ziolkowski, Physical Therapist Assistant
Participants are divided into three cohorts.
- The first year cohort focuses on the basics of student success, campus resources, and connections with each other and the College.
- The second year cohort builds upon the content and experiences from year one and includes issues of diversity and classroom management.
- The third year cohort spends time reflecting on their teaching, writing a philosophy of teaching, and exploring a problem of practice.
All NFE participants have a one-hour workload release to compensate them for their time spent in NFE. In the event that you have a Western-related conflict with the meeting dates/times, it is your responsibility to work with your dean and program colleagues to find a workable solution. The deans fully support your participation in NFE.
Archives of NFE meetings
Google Site template link
Handouts These are handouts and resources we have distributed during our meetings
Other Resources A range of print-based and web-based resources for new and experienced instructors alike.