FERPA Tutorial 6
Prior Consent Exceptions
When is prior consent not required to disclose student record information?
- The disclosure is to college officials with legitimate educational interest (real need to know).
- The disclosure is to officials of another college or university where the student seeks or intends to enroll.
- The disclosure is to appropriate parties in connection with financial aid for a student.
- The disclosure is to accrediting organizations.
- The disclosure is under Solomon Amendment (Armed Forces).
- The disclosure is to comply with a judicial order or lawfully issued subpoena.
- The disclosure is to appropriate officials in case of health and safety emergencies.
- The disclosure of results of student conduct hearing to an alleged victim of a violent crime.
- The disclosure of violations of alcohol laws or policies to parents.
Only designated College staff (Registrar and/or Dean of Students, or designees) may release non-directory information under the defined conditions.
For any general request of information outside of the college or your division, refer the requestor to Enrollment Services (608-785-9553).
If there is an emergency or a request is made by law enforcement, refer the requestor to the Office of Student Life (608-785-9445).